VDOT is working on finishing up the I-395 HOT lanes mega project later this year which will run from Edsall Road to points south along I-395 in Northern Virginia. The great Michael Neibauer from the Washington Business Journal has the details on a second mega project now underway affecting 395 between Duke Street and Seminary Road. The project includes the long-awaited reversible ramp for Mark Center employees.
If you are NOT going to the beach this Labor Day weekend, then the place to be is Alexandria, Virginia. Alexandria’s 1812 Bi-Centennial Signature Event Weekend is this weekend and there is a FREE full weekend of events in Alexandria, Virginia commemorating the War of 1812.
Signature Weekend Overview
REMINDER: The Hollywood version of the War of 1812 is showing at The Lyceum TONIGHT and tomorrow.
Throughout the weekend, cheer on your fellow Alexandrians as they take on the British as part of the official British Challenge in three events. All events are free and open to the public. For more information and the full events schedule, visit this link.
See you there!
Saturday, August 30
- 10 a.m. Wreath Laying at the Grave of Robert Allison, Jr.
- Presbyterian Meeting House Cemetery & Columbarium, 600 Hamilton Lane - Help honor the Veterans of the War of 1812. At its conclusion, guests will mark War of 1812 Veterans’ graves throughout the cemetery. All are welcome.
- Noon – 6 p.m. Challenge #1: Cricket Match - Jefferson Cricket Field, Potomac Park, Washington, DC (north of 14th Street Bridge) Team Alexandria v. Team Britain (British Defence Staff, UK Embassy
- 3 – 4 p.m. US Navy Band Concert - Market Square, 301King Street
- 4:30 – 5 p.m. Honors Ceremony (Seating opens at 4:15 p.m.) - Alexandria National Cemetery, 1450 Wilkes Street - Featuring the Continental Color Guard with Fife and Drum
Sunday, August 31
- 11 a.m. Challenge #2: Yacht Race - Old Dominion Boat Club, 1 King Street - Team Alexandria (Old Dominion Boat Club) v. Team Britain (British Defence Staff, UK Embassy) Take part in the start of this race!
- Noon – 5 p.m. Signature Event - Waterfront Park, 1A Prince Street - Waterfront Park will be transformed into a festival to commemorate the events that transpired on our shores 200 years ago. Meet the townspeople of 1814, enjoy boat tours of the river courtesy of the Alexandria Seaport Foundation, listen to the USN Sea Chanters, watch the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, and learn more about the War of 1812 through a variety of hands-on activities and information booths.
- 3:30 p.m. Challenge #3: Tug of War Team Alexandria (City of Alexandria Fire Fighters, IAFF Local 2141) v. Team Britain (British Defence Staff, UK Embassy)
- 4:15 p.m. Presentations and Recognition of the Cricket, Yacht Race, and Tug of War Winners
The Inc. 500/5000 list was recently released and features the fastest-growing privately held companies in the United States. The 2014 list features 15 Alexandria businesses including Metis Solutions, which specializes in government services, at #201. The Washington Business Journal has the list of Washington-area businesses that cracked the top 500.
This 2 bedroom, 1 bath condominium is located at 2500 North Van Dorn Street in the west end of Alexandria, Virginia.
Via the listing
Move-In Ready! All Utilities Included in Condo Fee! Updated 2BR/1FB w/ balcony & view of Pool! Gorgeous kitchen cabinetry w/ granite counter tops & newer appliances. Hardwood floors in LR,DR & BR’s. Building has a party room, mini mart,exercise rm, & storage units available. Plenty of parking. One stop light to DC, close to Shirlington, Pentagon, Bradlee Center.Bus Stop out front to nearby METRO!
Contact the Realtor at this link if you’re interested in more information about this property.
Looking for a home for rent or for sale in the Alexandria, Virginia area? Click this link to search our listings.
If you have a home to sell or to rent in the Alexandria, Virginia area, consider putting it in front of the areas FASTEST growing audience. Click this link for details.
We will gladly post reader submissions like this ANYTIME and your help with celebrating life in Alexandria is ALWAYS appreciated. You can submit items about whatever you want to talk about in Alexandria.. Simply follow our community standards and contact me if you’d like to contribute and/or have something posted.
Reader Sue writes in (after the jump…) with an update on the Maury Elementary Schoolyard Initiative. We covered the schoolyard closing at this link. For more information on the initiative, visit this link.
Alexandria Police Department Chief Earl Cook gives a few safety reminders as children head back-to-school in Alexandria next week.
The park is located at North Fayette and Queen Street in Old Town Alexandria. Via OT Moms, the graffiti used is quite graphic so click the more link below to view the pictures.