I know it’s a little early to talk turkey but, my wife LOVES to be prepared. We get most of our stuff from Balducci’s in Old Town Alexandria every year. The recipe below looks yummy and am eager to try it. What about you?
Here are some great tips on how to have a fabulous Thanksgiving faster than it takes to make a weeknight meal. Balducci’s Food Lover’s Market Corporate Executive Chef, Jason Miller, shares his expert knowledge to help you achieve a gourmet holiday meal in no time!
Tips for a Quick Gourmet Thanksgiving:
- Prep and measure all your vegetables a day ahead. Finish chopping the night before so all you have to do is add the vegetables to the dish the day of.
- Pair wine in a flash. Pinot Noir is a versatile wine that pairs well with almost everything. We like Balducci’s Own Pinot Noir – vibrant flavors of wild berry, cherry & raspberry with undertones of mocha & vanilla. Rich & seductive.
- Don’t cook a turkey. Pre-cooked turkeys are just as delicious and only need to be placed in the oven to re-heat before serving. Balducci’s Catering Service will take care of it for you with our Pre-Cooked Turkeys.
- Make an appetizer in 15 minutes. Our Toasted Almond Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms bake in 12 minutes, so you’ll have time for a glass of wine. See recipe below.
Balducci’s Toasted Almond Cheesy Stuffed Mushrooms
- 25 White Mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1/2 Cup Scallions, minced
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped fine
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350˚F
- Remove and mince the stems from the mushroom caps.
- Sauté the stems and scallions in the butter until soft. Stir in the cheese and 1/4 cup of breadcrumbs and toasted almonds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the mushroom caps and sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs. Bake for 12 minutes.
If you’re looking for more suggestions, please visit this link for recipes, tips and foodie treats. You can also follow them on Twitter and like them on Facebook.
Throughout the month of October, you can support the Alexandria Breast Cancer Walk Fund by purchasing a pink Breast Cancer Awareness t-shirt from Alexandria Fire Department.
All proceeds from the t-shirt sales will be donated to the Fund, and all Alexandria Fire Department employees will wear the shirts as part of their uniform every day in October. Shirt sizes range from Adult S-XXX; short-sleeve shirts sell for $15 and long-sleeve shirts sell for $20. Stop by any fire station anytime to purchase your shirt.
All proceeds from the Walk support the Alexandria Breast Cancer Walk Fund, which has helped over 5,000 uninsured Alexandria women receive free mammograms and other diagnostic screenings since its inception in 1994. All information, including registration and location details, is available at www.alexcancerwalk.com or by calling 703.746.5030.
Based on the Alexandria Times story linked here, we asked you, should there be bike lanes in Old Town Alexandria on Prince and Cameron Street? As of yesterday morning, the vote was split 50/50 but, thanks to a late push by the bike lanes supporters, the final vote turned out to be much different. Thank you to ALL who voted.
For our morning links, while you slept, showered, shaved, and got your Starbucks, we scanned the local papers, blogs, and websites to find the most interesting stories in them you might have missed.
We’ve gone pink for breast cancer awareness for the month of October. Let us know what you think in the comments below.
On the awareness aspect, it is meant to encourage women to seek care for themselves and get checked, reminding them that early detection is important.
A great local charity to support is the Alexandria Walk to Fight Breast Cancer in honor of former Alexandria City Manager Vola Lawson. I have donated and hope you can too.
Along with the center’s businesses, the Southeast Fairfax Development Corporation (SFDC) is hosting the Grand Opening for the Fordson Place Shopping Center on Wednesday, October 1, 2014 from 4 -7 p.m. at 7707 Fordson Rd., Alexandria, VA 22306 (directly across from Mount Vernon Plaza Shopping Center).
Completed earlier this year by the development team of Merchants National Properties and Marx Realty, Fordson Place Shopping Center is excited to announce its grand opening to the public! The event is being held to welcome the entire community to explore the new center and its stores: Verizon Wireless, Peet’s Coffee and Tea, Pollo Campero, Paisano’s Pizza, Hair Cuttery, and the Vitamin Shoppe.
To celebrate, there will be music, kid-friendly entertainment, and the shops will be giving away food, coupons, samples, offering discounts, and other fun freebies.
The Grand Opening is free and open to the public.
To learn more about the event and to receive updates, check out this link and follow the SFDC on Facebook and Twitter (sfdc_org) using #FordsonPlaceGO.
This nice 1 bedroom, 1 bath condominium for rent is located at 1403 E. Abingdon Drive in the Old Town North area of Alexandria, Virginia. Check out the balcony view!
Via the listing
Move-in ready spacious & updated 1BR with lovely balcony, W/D in home, ample closets, extra storage and off-street parking perfects a commuter’s dream with a pedestrian & pet friendly lifestyle in a charming courtyard building near GW Parkway in north Old Town just steps to scenic river front, Mt. Vernon trail, restaurants, shops, bus service to DC & Metro. See virtual tour. 6 months minimum.
Contact the Realtor at this link if you’re interested in more information about this property.
Looking for a home for rent or for sale in the Alexandria, Virginia area? Click this link to search our listings.
If you have a home to sell or to rent in the Alexandria, Virginia area, consider putting it in front of the areas FASTEST growing audience. Click this link for details.