Alexandria’s 266th and USA’s 239th
The City of Alexandria, Virginia will celebrate its 266th and the USA’s 239th birthday on Saturday, July 11, from 6:30 PM to 10:00 PM at Oronoco Bay Park, located at 100 Madison Street in Alexandria, on the Potomac River between Fairfax, Pendleton, and Madison Streets. In the event of inclement weather, fireworks only will be rescheduled for Sunday, July 12 at 9:30 PM Admission is FREE.
Larry Miller, Allyson Rae and Nick Giovanni, part of the Morning Team from WUSA9 News, will emcee the evening festivities. The evening will kick off with a performance by Tower House, a dance band featuring Motown and Classic Rock. The main event features the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra with Maestro Kim Allen Kluge presenting an explosive night of fun and fanfare.
Featured activities include:
- 6:30 PM: Performance by Tower House and Food & Refreshment Sales
- 7:45 PM: The Town Crier Announces Mayor William D. Euille; Poetry Reading by Tori Lane Kovarik, Alexandria’s Poet Laureate; Acknowledgements
- 8:00 PM: Distribution of Birthday Cake by the Mayor and members of City Council
- 8:30 PM: Performance by the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra, Kim Allen Kluge, Music Director
- 9:30 PM: Grand Finale fireworks display, featuring Tchaikovsky’s “1812 Overture” with cannon support by the United States Marine Corps, Basic Training School, Quantico, VA
Oronoco Bay Park has lawn seating, and participants are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets. Food, such as ice cream, hot dogs, hamburgers, barbeque sandwiches, shaved ice and kettle korn are available for purchase, but everyone is welcome to pack a picnic dinner. No grilling is allowed during the event. Please be mindful of your neighbors and refrain from smoking at this event, and pets should be left at home.
Visitors to the historic district are encouraged to take the Metro Yellow or Blue lines to the King Street Station in Old Town and take the free King Street Trolley, DASH or Metro Buses to the park. The King Street Trolley will also operate on an extended schedule for individuals wishing to return to the King Street Metro following the celebration. The last trolley will depart lower King Street at 11:45 p.m.
In addition to regular parking garages and metered parking, parking is available at Simpson Properties Garage, 700 North Fairfax Street and American Real Estate Partners, 44 Canal Center Plaza special $5 fee.
For additional information, visit this link or call the Special Events Hotline at 703.746.5592.