Celebrate George Washington’s 285th Birthday in Alexandria, Virginia
Thousands of folks attend the annual George Washington Birthday Parade in Alexandria, Virginia, the largest and oldest in the country celebrating our Founding Father. The parade winds its way through a one-mile route along the historic streets of Old Town. If you have NEVER been to the parade, below you’ll find a good video report from WJLA 7 of 2013’s parade. The parade is Monday, February 20 in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM.
For a full list of events surrounding the George Washington Birthday celebration, visit this link.
Here’s What You Need to Know to Enjoy The Parade
- Get to the parade route EARLY if you’re there between 11:00-11:30am, you should get a good seat.
- IMHO, the best viewing is near the reviewing stand which is located at King Street and Royal Street on the west side of City Hall.
- East/West streets in lower Old Town as well as streets where the assembly takes place will be closed at 10:00am @ Washington Street (e.g. Prince Street, Cameron Street, Queen Street, King Street, Duke Street, etc.) at Pitt Street. See the parade route at this link.
- You can find real-time parking information at this link.
- King Street Trolley will be running from the King Street Metro Station to Washington Street.
- DASH Bus will be running a FREE shuttle from the Eisenhower Ave Metro Station to Washington Street starting at 11:00am.
Hope to see you there!