Presidents’ Day Winter Storm Update in Alexandria, Virginia
The City of Alexandria is under a Winter Storm Warning until 4 a.m. on Tuesday, February 16. The city has received 4 inches of snow thus far. Snow is forecast to change to sleet and freezing rain tonight, which may coat the roads with ice.
- Travel is potentially hazardous. If you must travel, use extreme caution and expect delays. The City urges everyone to stay off the roads if possible, allowing our crews to work safely and effectively.
- As of Monday, February 15 at 5:00 p.m., the city has worked to clear snow from primary routes citywide and is now working to clear snow and ice from secondary routes.
- Freezing rain and ice can cause downed power lines and power outages. If you see a downed power line or experience an outage, call Dominion Virginia Power at 866.366.4357.
Trash/Recycling Collection (Resource Recovery)
- Trash/Recycling collection services will occur as scheduled for the week of February 15. Due to the Monday, February 15 holiday, trash and recycling collections will be delayed one day. Monday’s collection will on be Tuesday; Tuesday’s collection will be on Wednesday; the Wednesday collection will be on Thursday; and Thursday collection will occur on Friday.
Sidewalks and Shoveling
- Sidewalks, driveways, and entrances are the responsibility of the adjacent property owner, occupant, or community association. Because this is a Level 1 storm, snow and ice must be cleared from all paved sidewalks abutting adjacent property within 24 hours of the end of the snowfall. Failure to clear sidewalks may result in the City having the work done and charging the cost to the property owner, or fining the property owner $50.
- Please exercise caution when clearing snow. Each year, more than 100 deaths and thousands of injuries each year are attributed to snow shoveling. Shoveling is strenuous physical activity that can increase the risk of illness and injury, especially heart attacks Know yourself and your limitations; shovel early and often; push the snow instead of lifting it; and remember to pace yourself. For more snow shoveling tips, visit www.alexandriava.gov/Snow.
- Keep storm drains clear of snow, ice or debris to help reduce the possibility of street flooding during the thawing process.
- Assist the Fire Department by clearing snow from around fire hydrants.
- All DASH bus service and the King Street Trolley service ended at 3 p.m. today. For more information, visit www.dashbus.com.